Positive response to swept-source OCT Cataract and Refractive Imaging Platform at ESCRS
The feedback and reactions to the first public presentation of Heidelberg Engineering’s new Cataract and Refractive Imaging Platform* at the ESCRS in Barcelona were extremely positive. Many leading ophthalmologists visited Heidelberg Engineering’s booth for a hands-on preview of the swept-source OCT Cataract and Refractive Imaging Platform and had the chance to experience its versatility. Delegates valued the fact that all measurements are based on high-speed swept-source OCT diagnostic images. This allows doctors to see what they measure and measure what they see. The audience also appreciated being able to carry out several of the most important examinations with one device:
- anterior and posterior corneal topography including astigmatism,
- total corneal power,
- anterior segment biometry for IOL calculation including anterior chamber depth and lens thickness,
- axial length measurement,
- image-based anterior segment biometry including visualization of posterior lens surface and anterior chamber angle assessment.
Heidelberg Engineering estimates that once the platform is available commercially, its upgradable modular design will be popular among ocular surgeons who wish to increase their confidence in measurements as well as their efficiency. A leading European cataract and refractive surgeon put it like this:
“Besides the many functions and the amazing OCT images, I am impressed by the overall usability of the device in terms of acquisition, review and data management. This will guarantee a smooth integration in our clinical routine.”
* Under development and not for sale yet.
See the video for some impressions from the ESCRS 2015: